Tuesday, April 6, 2010

consequences of basanti . . . lolzz

Yesterday, I met one of my old friend after long time for a dinner. We sat in the corner of restaurant, far from the reaches of the clanging vessels and quarreling forks. We spread our feet underneath the table, spread napkins on our laps and sat there for hours. I started looking around but not thick crowd was present. Every time  we saw girl with thick, tumbling hair and antimony black eyes, I rolled my own eyes on her from top to bottom where he flung awkward gesture at me and asked me “What?” and every time he saw a brooding laughing guy and stare at him admiring his freedom and looked at me for sympathy I asked him “what?”

We cursed the “Friends” who refuse to join us, who preferred their private celebrations to our pleading invitation and we thanked each other for the companionship we sought and gave. We watched people eat, drink, celebrate and rejoice the last day of this week. We drowned our sorrow down the guts, and filled our sacs with food that tasted sad and bland. The aroma not aroma but stench of desperation and the morsel not food but a compromise in the name of joy.



For a moment I forgot about him and closed my eyes to take that dive into my past of similar unparalleled  instances. But he held my shoulder and shook me out my suicidal quest into another night of despair. 
A group of friends over a birthday cake, a couple and their soft dialogues, a family of four, few waiters running around in their skewed bow-ties and hurrying speeches, a burly manager with his notepad and a busy restroom door that swayed every 30 seconds to the pushes of everyone else we found uninteresting and not worth mentioning. We didn't talk much but we just reaped the muted nuances the world callously scattered around us, bit by bit.

He looked like an old man, experienced but unaware of his experiences. He looked lonely to me, lost but careless. We didn't talk much as we feared the voices would disturb the quivering balance we have between us.

But I can’t hold anymore without asking “dude, what’s the matter?”

He looked directly into my eyes and told me “You don’t have your basanti (girl friend) right? So, you won’t understand”

I doubled laughing after hearing that from him. But after few minutes I read consequence of having basanti in his eyes JJ



No comments:

Post a Comment